Objects
Photograph: Courtyard in a kenesa.
Photograph: Courtyard in a kenesa.
Title
Photograph: Courtyard in a kenesa.
Territory
Taurida Guberniya, Yevpatoriysky Uyezd, Yevpatoria
Date
Collectors-person
Photographer
Photographic process
Gelatin silver printing with chemical development (DOP)
Dimensions
11,2 x 16,5
Corpus
Photo Collections of REM
Photo Collections of REM
Number
РЭМ 735-1
Annotation
Kenesa (from the Arab word “kanisa,” or non-Moslem temple) was a synagogue where the temple’s main part with Torah scrolls kept in it was oriented to the south. The Kenesas in Eupatoria is a large complex that comprised two synagogues (the Grand and the Minor one), courtyards, and a gallery. The construction started in 1804 and continued up to the end of the 1830s. The Minor Kenesa was opened in 1812.
Ethnical annotation
חצר בתוך כנאסה. מחוז טאוריה, אוייזד יבפטוריה, עיר יבפטוריה. קראים. תצלום משלחתי מאת ק'.א'. אינוסטרנצב. שנת 1905. כנאסה (בא מערבית: "כניסה" – בית המקדש הלא מוסלמי) היא בית הכנסת שחלקו העיקרי בו נשמרו מגילות התורה, פונה דרומה. כנאסות ביבפטוריה זהו מתחם גדול הכלל שני בתי הכנסת (הגדול והקטנן), מספר חצרות ומרפסת. בנייתו החלה בשנת 1804 ונמשכה עד סוף ה-1830. בשנת 1812 נפתחה הכנאסה הקטנה.